Monday, September 6, 2010

A little miracle.

Okay okay, it's safe to say I'm no stranger to baby fever. But I have to share the latest little addition to my life, that's thrown me back into the fever 100%.
Over the last couple of months, I've formed some strong friendships with some of my other Pele-wives (wives who's husbands are deployed along with mine). I'm still amazed at how strong of a bond people can create in times like these. Its like you get to a certain point where you just know whether or not you can really be friends with someone within five minutes of meeting them. And from that point on your friendship is unconditional, and you truly care for them.
One of my new, amazing friends was about 7 mos. pregnant when we met. She's had a high risk pregnancy, and from the moment we met I felt like I was along for the ride. This last week, the big day came. After about a week of back-contractions, she was finally admitted to labor and delivery. It was my job, until she had access to her blackberry, to inform her husband of what was going on. So here I was, up all night emailing a man I never me, but feel like I really know, telling him that his baby was soon to be born. Another phenomena that I can't quite grasp.
Finally it was time to push. Rules for the delivery room were kind of hazy, so to be safe I just stepped out into the waiting room. I heard she did so good pushing. It was amazing. I left the room, and there she was, pregnant and honestly quite miserable, so ready to be a mom, but still just an expectant wife. And then, an hour later, I walked into the room and she was a mother, with the most beautiful little boy. A little boy with the face of his father, and the smallest little cry I've ever heard. He's perfect. He is a miracle and I feel as though the fact that he so much has the features of his father that I about lost it when I saw their pictures next to eachother is a gift in itself. Here there is a man who has never met his son (though he's so proud you'd never know that) and a woman who misses her husband, father of her little boy so much words can't describe it, and now every day, when she looks down at that little man, she'll see her husband, in more ways than one. What an amazing world we live in! And how in love with him am I? Oh I can't even tell you.

I just wanted to take the time to comment on this miracle that I witnessed, from the journey to the final destination. I cannot wait to see that family together finally, because it will truly be the best part of homecoming, to see that sort of happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment