Friday, March 12, 2010

A Mother is the Truest Friend We Have (this one's for the ladies)

Today, my mommy had her first ever surgery. A week ago today, she had some stomach cramps and a fever. She went home early from work and didn't feel better the next day. My dad says he knew then that it was more than the flu. Sunday, when he called me, I knew that something was wrong. As casual and calm as my daddy tries to be in my presence, I read him like a book. He'd taken my mom to the ER (my mother has never been in the hospital, my entire life. When she had me, her stay lasted a long 13 hours.) and they drew blood to find infection. They did some sort of MRI or CT scan or something and found a cist. They found cists when I was two and removed them in an outpatient procedure, and back in August of this last year, she was having some cramping and whatnot and they never found this cist. The reason I tell you that is that this cist, since August, has grown to 9 centimeters. It amazes me how quickly these things come to be.

Anyways, they admitted her to the hospital for a few days to run out the infection. She was supposed to go home Wed, but that didn't happen. 12 different anti-biotics didn't work, her white blood cell count was back up, with her fever. After talking, they decided to take out the uterus. So this morning she had a hysterectomy, and explored to make sure that the infection didn't spread anywhere else. The surgery went quickly and problem free.

I'm gratefull that my mommy is ok. She never got sick when I was little, and would wait 19 years, until I move half way across the country to have something this dramatic happen. My dad is in the hospital or ER once a year at least. He's always the one I worry about, I never thought my mom was even capable of catching a cold. I know she's a strong woman, but I know that she was scared, and I know that the pain in the coming days will be some of the worst she's experienced. I know that I really wish I could've been there for her through all this. I guess that's a part of growing up that I never thought about. I never thought I'd even live in a different town than my parents. This was another realization I had to have to come to in my quick bout of being a grown up.

This also makes me scared. I don't know why my momma has had these problems. I know that people go through a lot more than she did, as far as recurring cists and whatnot, but I still have to wonder why she got them. It doesn't seem normal to me. I'm glad they fixed the problem, but I wish they'd look further into the source of the problem.

Hubbers might kill me for saying this, but we really want kids. It's one of the first things that attracted me to him- how he acted with his nephew- and being a mommy is what I've always felt I was put on this earth to do. Of course since we are 19 and 21, we are by no means ready to start our family now. We do, however, want to be young parents. Mike wants to be able to go outside and teach our kids how to play soccer, I want to be able take our kids to Disneyland, and actually still enjoy it myself. I want our kids to have the best years of our lives. If it weren't bad timing, you could hand me a baby, all bundled up, right now, and I'd mother him/her in a heartbeat. We are excited to share our love with a baby some day.

But. I've always thought that there was something wrong with me. I hit puberty early and of course everything about it made me feel like a freak. Just after we got married, the stress of all the changes effected my cycle, and I had my first lady exam. They found cellular changes, which I was told was "no big deal, it SHOULD take care of itself". Now that this has happened with my momma, I have an intense urge to to go the doctor. I'd like to know now, 100% that there is nothing wrong with me. The most devestating things would be to start trying for a family, only to find out we couldn't.

On that note, I've decided that the military treatment facility I was being seen at is no longer suitable. It takes me ages to get an appointment, and I had to research for myself what cellular changes were, because nobody seemed to care to explain it. So sometime next week I will be getting a release form and switching to a local civilian doctor. Woohoo! I'll have an ounce of normalcy in my experience as a military wife!!

Anyways, this blog was to inform some friends about my mommy, and to vent a little bit about my worries and concerns. To end it, here's a picture of my pretty mommy and her first grandson, my brothers little boy.

1 comment:

  1. First off, you're only as old as you feel :) Frank and I will be young at heart forever!
    I forgot to ask you this, did they remove your moms overies as well? Because i've heard that if they leave them that can cause cancer. When my mom got her's done they took everything. It seems scary now, but she will be much happier with everything done with. I know my mom is, not just having the periods. all the problems that went along with having the cists and polyps (i'm sure I spelled that wrong).

    ReplyDelete